Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Art of Eating Asian Food

At dinner this weekend I realised that many of my friends don't understand the concept of Asian eating. This has nothing to do with the utensils or the actual food but rather the culture of sharing a meal with people. Food is a cultural concept, and realising this makes eating "different" food all the more enriching.

Indian Dining
Indian food is about sharing. It works best when everyone orders a different curry and has a taste of each one. I know with European food, people stick to their dishes, but it really is not meant to be like that with Indian eating. Eating is a time of togetherness and celebration (as in most cultures), so feel free to be loud and conversational. Traditionally, Indian people eat with their hands and many Indian dishes are made specifically to be eaten in this manner. Don't feel shy. Wash your hand before (try and keep your nails short), and try it out. Rotis, parathas and naan bread are not as delicious when eaten with a knife and fork.  Dish a portion of the various curries onto your plate, break off a piece of the bread and use the bread to scoop up the curry. It really does taste so much better! The same goes for rice. Afterwards, you can ask the waiter to bring a bowl of warm water or wash your hands in the rest room. The food is meant to be hot, and sometimes even messy (crab curry, in point), so have lots of tissues handy and a some sour milk salad on the side to help cool your tummy. It is totally acceptable (even expected) to take the left-overs home (Indians don't believe in wasting food).
My top picks are
North Indian food: Ghazal in Peter Place (Bryanston), Banjaara - for both North and South Indian food (Thrupps, Illovo), and Bismillahs in town. Have been recommended Bukhara (not sure where it is)
South Indian food: Masala Dosta in town. I have been recommended Namaste in Bryanston.

Chinese Dining
Similar to Indian eating, Chinese people believe in sharing dishes between a large group. The portion sizes are big, and it is customary for everyone to try each dish. Soups are ordered as starters as well as spring rolls, dumplings, spinach etc. Order a few bowls of different noodles to try each of them, as well as the various mains.  The idea is that everyone must have a taste of everything.  The dishes are placed on a spinning jenny (or a lazy Susan, however you look at it) so everyone can reach.  The tables are traditionally round so that everyone can see each other, chat to each other and feel equal. Chopsticks are the traditional utensil, and they are quite fun to use (once you get the hang of them).  It is said the the more upper-class Chinese hold their chopsticks higher up, so they can pick at their food at leisure, while the working class Chinese hold their chopsticks lower down so they can eat their food faster and get back to the fields. I would recommend going to a traditional Chinese restaurant (where the dishes are listed in Chinese) to get the real selection. Otherwise you are going to get the watered down "gwailow" sweet and sour variety. My favourite Chinese thing so far is squid in special sauce, and I have been told the sechuan (spicy cooking) duck is amazing.
Don't get put off by the decor. Most Chinese restaurants are either very grungy or quiet kitch.
My top picks: China Town in Cyrilldene, Lai Lai Gardens in Illovo (Thrupps Centre), Red Chamber is Hyde Park (only MSG-free Chinese restaurant I have ever been to. It also had the best decor of any Chinese restaurant I have seen). Have been told Swallows in town is also good.

Vietnamese Food
Similar to Chinese food, though I have been to a place that brings you a little portion of your own food.  I do admit, I have not been to what I feel is a real Vietnamese restaurant.  The food served in SA appears a bit too rich to be palatable to the average Vietnamese person. Show me a place that serves cobra blood shooters and I will give it my stamp of approval! In the interim, I would recommend Saigon (off Rivonia, next to the McDonalds).

Thai food
This could go either way. Most of the Thai places I have been to bring you a portion of your own dish and place it in front of you. But I am sure you could share happily. I have kinda given up on Thai food since I ate a dodgy plate of pad thai on my bday last year (after returning from Moz). I was convinced I was going to die of either malaria or some other weird tropical disease.
If pressed, I will recommend Wang Thai in Nelson Mandela. Note: they charge set menus for large groups.
To Thai For on Corlette is also good.

No comments:

Post a Comment