Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Joburg Awesomeness: Packing Heat

When you have done all the traditional touristy things in Johannesburg you can start looking for activities that appeal to your specific interests. The city is often underestimated in the weird and wonderful things that it offers. It is not only a concrete jungle, but also has tracts of vast open spaces that open up unlimited possibilities. I have always wanted to go shooting. Not at anything living mind you (people and animals are usually popular items for target practice in the city).

Not being dissuaded by not actually having a gun or a clue I set off on an intrepid Internet search for a relaxed yet well-stocked establishment that caters for individuals such as myself (and more experienced ones also).
The universe led to me to Guthrie's Shooting Range in Midrand. Nestled in the midst of Pretoria Main Road and several blocks of flats (they were here first and don't care how much noise they make), my eager group of friends and I drove up the dirt drive way and into their theatre of dreams. My posse didn't actually believe that they would give us guns for money. No one had a licence or any training (though a few peeps did have some good shooting experience.) But they did...

For R75 range fee, R85 gun hire and R150 for a bag of ammo they hooked you up with whatever gun you wanted and sent you on your merry way. We ended up choosing a .44 magnum, a Beretta, a glock and an R5. We later discovered they stock AK-47s, desert eagles and uzzis. Check them out: http://www.guthriesshootingrange.co.za/about.html

Our range guide came and explained the basics of how a gun works, how to load, shoot and reminded us of the range etiquette and left us to shoot the afternoon away. Despite there being two completely inexperienced shooters in our group, there was no blood shed and we all left the range alive and well. In fact, I got a bulls-eye with the .44 magnum and my fellow noob got one as well. We all tried out all the guns and ended up becoming reasonably proficient in their usage.

I left the range feeling satisfied with my newly acquired gun toting skills and general awesomeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment